Building Regulations for Conservatory Roofs – KEY FACTS
Are Building Regulations required for replacement or refurbishment of conservatory roofs?
The simple answer is Yes!
Any significant alteration or replacement that reduces the glazed area of the roof requires Building Regulation approval.
Do Building Regulations have any Legal Force?
YES – Any work covered by the Building Regulations and not inspected and approved is liable to enforcement action through the courts, and possible demolition of any work not conforming.
Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous companies that are replacing conservatory roofs without placing customer safety and quality of workmanship to the fore.
What inspections and other requirements are needed to comply with Building Regulations where an insulated roof is to be fitted to a conservatory?
- An initial on site inspection of your existing conservatory to assess the structural integrity of existing walls, and suitability of foundations to accept an insulated roof.
- Detailed structural engineers calculations to prove to the inspecting Authority that the existing structure and foundations will support the additional weight of the insulated roof.
- On site inspection to confirm that insulation meets Building Regulation requirements
- Final inspection on site by the Inspecting Authority of the completed installation.
What documents should I receive following completion of the work?
- A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.
This will confirm that the roof section is satisfactory for its purpose.
PLEASE BEWARE WHEN YOU ARE CHOOSING YOUR REPLACEMENT CONSERVATORY ROOF SUPPLIER.
Wetheralds through the JHAI confirms that the roof components used as part of the overall installation are satisfactory. We alsostructural engineers calculations needed to prove that the existing walls and foundations are adequate.
For your protection ask the company or their representative to provide in writing, confirmation that the existing walls and foundations have been assessed, that detailed structural engineers calculation for your specific project have been prepared and approved.